Adapter needed

Do I need a travel adapter for a trip to Hong Kong?

Yes, you need a travel adapter (plug adapter) for a trip from the United States to Hong Kong. In Hong Kong, people are using different plugs and electrical outlets that are not compatible with plugs from the United States!

Hong Kong und United States compared
Flag: United States
United States
AOutlets of type ABOutlets of type BOutlets
120 VoltVoltage
60 HertzFrequency
Flag: Hong Kong
Hong Kong
GOutlets of type GOutlets
220 VoltVoltage
50 HertzFrequency
Power sockets

Which types of electrical outlets are used in Hong Kong?

Hong Kong uses electrical outlets of type G. Electrical outlets of type A and B, which are common in the United States, are not in use in Hong Kong.

The best travel adapters

Looking for a travel adapter for your upcoming trips? We have taken a close look at all the best adapters, and these are our favorite models:

A powerful travel adapter suitable for trips all around the world
A powerful travel adapter suitable for trips all around the world
USB charger included
Versatile adapter including USB ports to top up your smartphone's battery
Versatile adapter including USB ports to top up your smartphone's battery
Country information

About Hong Kong

Flag: About Hong Kong

Hong Kong is a country in Asia (Eastern Asia) with about 7.1 Millionen inhabitants on an area of almost 1 000 km². The capital of Hong Kong is Hong Kong (7.1 Millionen inhabitants).

People in the country are mainly speaking Chinese and English.

The only neighbor of Hong Kong is China.

TLD: .hkCurrency: Country calling code: +852Country Code : HK
Mains voltage

What is the Electricity Voltage in Hong Kong?

The voltage in Hong Kong is 220 volts.

The voltage, therefore, is higher than the 120 volts in the United States. This difference means that you have to be cautious when using electrical devices purchased in the United States:

You should read the instruction manual of your device and check at which voltage it is safe to use.

If the voltage stated in the user's manual or on the device's power supply differs from the mains voltage in Hong Kong, you should either not use your device there, or buy a voltage converter before departing.

Utility frequency

What is the utility frequency in Hong Kong?

The utility frequency in Hong Kong is 50 Hertz.

The frequency, therefore, is lower than the 60 Hertz in use in the United States. This difference may not be a problem for most of your devices, but you still have to be cautious:

Devices that either measure time, or are equipped with moving and rotating parts, are particularly dangerous! So, if you plan to use shavers, heaters, kitchen appliances or alarm clocks in Hong Kong, read the instruction manuals to see if these devices are safe to use on the local utility frequency.

If the mains frequency specified in the manual or on the power supply is different from the rate used in Hong Kong, you should not use the device!

Neighboring countries information