Adapter needed

Do I need a travel adapter for a trip to England?

Yes, you need a travel adapter (plug adapter) for a trip from Canada to England. In England, people are using different plugs and electrical outlets that are not compatible with plugs from Canada!

England und Canada compared
Flag: Canada
AOutlets of type ABOutlets of type BOutlets
120 VoltVoltage
60 HertzFrequency
Flag: England
GOutlets of type GOutlets
230 VoltVoltage
50 HertzFrequency
Power sockets

Which types of power outlets are used in England?

England uses power outlets of type G. Electrical outlets of type A and B, which are common in Canada, are not in use in England.

Country information

About England

Flag: About England

England is a country in Europe (Northern Europe) with about 54.3 Millionen inhabitants on an area of almost 130 000 km². The capital of England is London (8.5 Millionen inhabitants).

People in the country are mainly speaking English, Welsh and Gaelic.

The neighbors of England are Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

TLD: .ukCurrency: GBPCountry calling code: +44Country Code : GB-ENG
Mains voltage

What is the Electricity Voltage in England?

The voltage in England is 230 volts.

The voltage, therefore, is higher than the 120 volts in Canada. This difference means that you have to be cautious when using electrical devices purchased in Canada:

You should read the instruction manual of your device and check at which voltage it is safe to use.

If the voltage stated in the user's manual or on the device's power supply differs from the mains voltage in England, you should either not use your device there, or buy a voltage converter before departing.

Utility frequency

What is the utility frequency in England?

The utility frequency in England is 50 Hertz.

The frequency, therefore, is lower than the 60 Hertz in use in Canada. This difference may not be a problem for most of your devices, but you still have to be cautious:

Devices that either measure time, or are equipped with moving and rotating parts, are particularly dangerous! So, if you plan to use shavers, heaters, kitchen appliances or alarm clocks in England, read the instruction manuals to see if these devices are safe to use on the local utility frequency.

If the mains frequency specified in the manual or on the power supply is different from the rate used in England, you should not use the device!