Adapter needed

Do I need a travel adapter for a trip to the United States?

Yes, you need a travel adapter (plug adapter) for a trip from Australia to the United States. In the United States, people are using different power plugs and power outlets that are not compatible with plugs from Australia!

United States und Australia compared
Flag: Australia
IOutlets of type IOutlets
230 VoltVoltage
50 HertzFrequency
Flag: United States
United States
AOutlets of type ABOutlets of type BOutlets
120 VoltVoltage
60 HertzFrequency
Country information

About the United States

Flag: About the United States

The United States are a country in America (Northern America) with about 321.4 Millionen inhabitants on an area of almost 9.8 Millionen km². The capital of the United States is Washington, D.C. (602 000 inhabitants).

People in the country are mainly speaking English, Spanish, Hausa and French.

The neighbors of the United States are Canada and Mexico.

TLD: .usCurrency: USDCountry calling code: +1Country Code : US
Power sockets

Which types of power plugs are used in the United States?

The United States use power plugs of type A and B. Power outlets of type I, which are common in Australia, are not in use in the United States.

Mains voltage

What is the Electricity Voltage in the United States?

The voltage in the United States is 120 volts.

The voltage, therefore, is lower than the 230 volts in Australia. This difference means that you have to be cautious when using electrical devices purchased in Australia:

You should read the instruction manual of your device and check at which voltage it is safe to use.

If the voltage stated in the user's manual or on the device's power supply differs from the mains voltage in the United States, you should either not use your device there, or buy a voltage converter before departing.

Utility frequency

What is the utility frequency in the United States?

The utility frequency in the United States is 60 Hertz.

The frequency, therefore, is higher than the 50 Hertz in use in Australia. This difference may not be a problem for most of your devices, but you still have to be cautious:

Devices that either measure time, or are equipped with moving and rotating parts, are particularly dangerous! So, if you plan to use shavers, heaters, kitchen appliances or alarm clocks in the United States, read the instruction manuals to see if these devices are safe to use on the local utility frequency.

If the mains frequency specified in the manual or on the power supply is different from the rate used in the United States, you should not use the device!