Adapter needed

Do I need a travel adapter for a trip to Trinidad and Tobago?

Yes, you need a travel adapter (plug adapter) for a trip from Australia to Trinidad and Tobago. In Trinidad and Tobago, people are using different power plugs and power outlets that are not compatible with plugs from Australia!

Trinidad and Tobago und Australia compared
Flag: Australia
IOutlets of type IOutlets
230 VoltVoltage
50 HertzFrequency
Flag: Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
AOutlets of type ABOutlets of type BOutlets
115 VoltVoltage
60 HertzFrequency
Country information

About Trinidad and Tobago

Flag: About Trinidad and Tobago

Trinidad and Tobago is a country in America (Caribbean) with about 1.2 Millionen inhabitants on an area of almost 5 000 km². The capital of Trinidad and Tobago is Port-of-Spain (49 000 inhabitants).

People in the country are mainly speaking English, French, Spanish and Chinese.

Trinidad and Tobago does not have a neighbor country.

TLD: .ttCurrency: TTDCountry calling code: +1-868Country Code : TT
Power sockets

Which types of power plugs are used in Trinidad and Tobago?

Trinidad and Tobago uses power plugs of type A and B. Power outlets of type I, which are common in Australia, are not in use in Trinidad and Tobago.

Mains voltage

What is the Electricity Voltage in Trinidad and Tobago?

The voltage in Trinidad and Tobago is 115 volts.

The voltage, therefore, is lower than the 230 volts in Australia. This difference means that you have to be cautious when using electrical devices purchased in Australia:

You should read the instruction manual of your device and check at which voltage it is safe to use.

If the voltage stated in the user's manual or on the device's power supply differs from the mains voltage in Trinidad and Tobago, you should either not use your device there, or buy a voltage converter before departing.

Utility frequency

What is the utility frequency in Trinidad and Tobago?

The utility frequency in Trinidad and Tobago is 60 Hertz.

The frequency, therefore, is higher than the 50 Hertz in use in Australia. This difference may not be a problem for most of your devices, but you still have to be cautious:

Devices that either measure time, or are equipped with moving and rotating parts, are particularly dangerous! So, if you plan to use shavers, heaters, kitchen appliances or alarm clocks in Trinidad and Tobago, read the instruction manuals to see if these devices are safe to use on the local utility frequency.

If the mains frequency specified in the manual or on the power supply is different from the rate used in Trinidad and Tobago, you should not use the device!