Adapter needed

Do I need a travel adapter for a trip to Hong Kong?

Yes, you need a travel adapter (plug adapter) for a trip from Australia to Hong Kong. In Hong Kong, people are using different power plugs and power outlets that are not compatible with plugs from Australia!

Hong Kong und Australia compared
Flag: Australia
IOutlets of type IOutlets
230 VoltVoltage
50 HertzFrequency
Flag: Hong Kong
Hong Kong
GOutlets of type GOutlets
220 VoltVoltage
50 HertzFrequency
Power sockets

Which types of power plugs are used in Hong Kong?

Hong Kong uses power plugs of type G. Power outlets of type I, which are common in Australia, are not in use in Hong Kong.

Country information

About Hong Kong

Flag: About Hong Kong

Hong Kong is a country in Asia (Eastern Asia) with about 7.1 Millionen inhabitants on an area of almost 1 000 km². The capital of Hong Kong is Hong Kong (7.1 Millionen inhabitants).

People in the country are mainly speaking Chinese and English.

The only neighbor of Hong Kong is China.

TLD: .hkCurrency: Country calling code: +852Country Code : HK
Mains voltage

What is the Electricity Voltage in Hong Kong?

The voltage in Hong Kong is 220 volts.

The voltage, therefore, is lower than the 230 volts in Australia. This difference means that you have to be cautious when using electrical devices purchased in Australia:

You should read the instruction manual of your device and check at which voltage it is safe to use.

If the voltage stated in the user's manual or on the device's power supply differs from the mains voltage in Hong Kong, you should either not use your device there, or buy a voltage converter before departing.

Utility frequency

What is the utility frequency in Hong Kong?

The utility frequency in Hong Kong is 50 Hertz.

The frequency, therefore, is the same as in Australia. That's why it is safe to use all your electric appliances in Hong Kong.

Neighboring countries information