Adapter needed

Do I need a travel adapter for a trip to Canada?

Yes, you need a travel adapter (plug adapter) for a trip from Australia to Canada. In Canada, people are using different power plugs and power outlets that are not compatible with plugs from Australia!

Canada und Australia compared
Flag: Australia
IOutlets of type IOutlets
230 VoltVoltage
50 HertzFrequency
Flag: Canada
AOutlets of type ABOutlets of type BOutlets
120 VoltVoltage
60 HertzFrequency
Power sockets

Which types of power plugs are used in Canada?

Canada uses power plugs of type A and B. Power outlets of type I, which are common in Australia, are not in use in Canada.

Country information

About Canada

Flag: About Canada

Canada is a country in America (Northern America) with about 35.1 Millionen inhabitants on an area of almost 10 Millionen km². The capital of Canada is Ottawa (812 000 inhabitants).

People in the country are mainly speaking English, French and Inuktitut.

The only neighbor of Canada are the United States.

TLD: .caCurrency: CADCountry calling code: +1Country Code : CA
Mains voltage

What is the Electricity Voltage in Canada?

The voltage in Canada is 120 volts.

The voltage, therefore, is lower than the 230 volts in Australia. This difference means that you have to be cautious when using electrical devices purchased in Australia:

You should read the instruction manual of your device and check at which voltage it is safe to use.

If the voltage stated in the user's manual or on the device's power supply differs from the mains voltage in Canada, you should either not use your device there, or buy a voltage converter before departing.

Utility frequency

What is the utility frequency in Canada?

The utility frequency in Canada is 60 Hertz.

The frequency, therefore, is higher than the 50 Hertz in use in Australia. This difference may not be a problem for most of your devices, but you still have to be cautious:

Devices that either measure time, or are equipped with moving and rotating parts, are particularly dangerous! So, if you plan to use shavers, heaters, kitchen appliances or alarm clocks in Canada, read the instruction manuals to see if these devices are safe to use on the local utility frequency.

If the mains frequency specified in the manual or on the power supply is different from the rate used in Canada, you should not use the device!